Cooler weather is on the way as fall approaches, and the change in season creates changes in your home as much as it does in the weather. Fall is a great time to prepare your home for the upcoming cold winter months. At SSI, we understand many of the issues that confront a homeowner as weather changes. Here are a few tips to help get your home ready:
- Check outside faucets to make sure that they are working properly and not leaking, and make sure that all exposed pipes are insulated properly. Undetected leaks or exposes lines now can mean frozen pipes and water damage to your home later this winter. If you are unsure of what to look for, a quick visible plumbing inspection by a professional at SSI can take care of this issue. If you do need to make a repair, it is better to do it before freezing temperatures begin, or before a leak causes damage.
- Disconnect outside hoses and shut off your exterior water supply. Water left in hoses or in exterior lines will freeze and damage your exterior pipes. Making sure that water is drained will protect your home’s plumbing system from future damage.
- Service your sump pump. Sump pumps are not just a summer month concern. Fall brings rainy weather as well. Make sure that your sump pump is in working order before it fails. Sump pump repairs nbsp;are part of the many services SSI’s qualified plumbers provide.
- Check your water heater. Water heaters work harder in winter months. Flushing your tank as well as making sure that it is not making noises while working, or producing water that is either too hot or too cold, is a good start. Water heater maintenance can be more difficult to do yourself. If you have any concerns, the professionals at SSI can help.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are free of debris and draining properly. Falling leaves will clog your gutters quickly and, if not removed, will create a problem in the colder months.
As always, SSI is here to assist you with all your plumbing needs. Our professionals can help ensure that your home is ready for the coming cold weather.